Financial Support Policies

Everyone receiving some form of graduate school financial aid during the current academic year must be familiar with this information. This includes anyone receiving a scholarship (including language scholarships), assistantship and/or fellowship award. Please review this information carefully.

Topics Covered:

Funding and Academic Policies

All students receiving some form of graduate school financial aid must abide by the policies and procedures set forth in the following documents:

Back to top

Forms and Tax Information

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may be required to complete certain forms before we can process your appointment. Please see the companion handout: Taxation of Graduate School Financial Aid Awards.

It is up to you to determine what forms you may need to file. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will be required to contact the University’s Tax Department, and you may be required to complete additional tax forms. 


  1. All new students with Graduate School assistantship awards will be required to file tax forms as described below. Among those new students receiving non-service fellowship awards, only non-U.S. citizens will be required to complete tax forms.
  2. Most U.S. citizens with continuing appointments will not be required to file new tax forms but some will. It is up to you to determine what forms you may need to file. All non-U.S. students with continuing appointments must contact the University’s Tax Department to determine what forms you may need to file.
  3. If you have any questions about the following information, please feel free to contact the assistant director for financial aid at (202) 687-7753. 

Form I-9

Federal law requires the university to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all individuals whose stipend represents compensation for services. This includes everyone appointed as a Graduate School teaching assistant, teaching associate or research assistant.

All recipients of assistantship stipends who have not been employed previously by Georgetown University during the current calendar year or who have been terminated, must complete Form I-9. This includes students who held appointments during the previous fall semester but were not on appointment during the spring semester or summer term of the current calendar year. (Those who were employed by the university during spring or summer of the current calendar year should not complete a new Form I-9.)

Form I-9 can be downloaded to your printer from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Those who must complete Form I-9 should complete only Section 1. Please do not write anything in Section 2. Note that you must provide a local address in the Washington area.

After completing Section 1 bring the form to one of the  Georgetown University’s Human Resources I-9 specialists.  Click here for locations of the I-9 specialists. You must bring these materials and your IDs in person.

Three lists of acceptable documentation are printed on the reverse of Form I-9. Please review these lists carefully. Federal law requires that you provide either (1) one original document from List A or (2) a total of two original documents, one from List B AND one from List C. Federal law also requires that you present original documents. 

Finally, please note that federal law requires that you complete the Form I-9 within three business days of the beginning of your employment. It is your responsibility to complete this process in a timely fashion.

The following individuals do not need to complete a Form I-9:

  1. those students who were employed by the university during spring or summer of the current calendar year AND whose I-9 documents are current
  2. those who have been awarded only a tuition scholarship with no stipend
  3. those who have been awarded a non-service fellowship award

Back to top

Obtaining Social Security or IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers

All assistantship recipients are paid a stipend through the university’s payroll system and must therefore have a valid U.S. Social Security number. Please note that student identification numbers assigned by Georgetown University (also known as “GoCard number” or “GU ID number”) are not valid for this purpose.

Individuals who do not have a Social Security number must apply for one through any Social Security administration office. International students must apply after their entrance into the United States. International students can acquire information about obtaining a social security card by visiting the Office of Global Services.

International students who are not eligible to receive a Social Security number and who do not receive an assistantship stipend, but who are provided a scholarship or any other form of award (e.g., travel grant or honorarium), will be required to obtain a valid Internal Revenue Service Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. 

Further information and forms are available from:
Tel: (202) 687-5448 

Back to top

Payment processing procedures for U.S. citizens and permanent resident status

If you received an assistantship award during spring semester or summer term of the current calendar year, you do not need to change your federal and local tax withholding unless your address has since changed or you wish to change the number of withholding allowances claimed.

If you have received an assistantship award, you must report your Social Security number (SSN) to the Internal Revenue Service. It is important to provide your SSN to the university so that your payroll record is accurate.

You may complete your federal tax withholding information directly in GMS. If you do not complete this information, you will receive a paycheck, but the university will be required by law to withhold taxes from your stipend check at the maximum rate.

Because you are required to claim a local residence for tax purposes, you should file the appropriate form to have income reported for the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia. Forms may be downloaded to your printer from the Financial Aid Forms site or copies can be obtained from the Payroll Office at 2121 Wisconsin Avenue. Note: If you do not file any state withholding form, District of Columbia taxes will be withheld at the maximum rate.

Assistantship Awards

Assistantship awards will be disbursed on a bi-weekly schedule for the duration of the assistantship award. This schedule applies to both U.S. citizens and to non-U.S. citizens.

Non-Service Fellowship Awards 

In accordance with current university policy, non-service fellowship awards will be disbursed at the beginning of each semester for both U.S. citizens and for non-U.S. citizens in which you have such an award. 

Tuition Scholarships

If you are awarded a Graduate School tuition scholarship, it will be paid directly to the Office of Billing and Payment Services by the Graduate School.

Back to top

Related Links: