Application for Graduate Degree
Students must apply to graduate through MyAccess (instructions below) in order to be awarded their degree. Students who wish to graduate in August or December must apply to graduate by the first working day of those months. Students who wish to graduate in May are advised to apply to graduate by the first working day of February. Those who apply later than the first working day of February may be cleared to graduate, but they will not have their names in the Commencement program book and their diplomas may not be available at the Commencement ceremony in May.
Dissertations, doctoral projects or theses of students whose programs require them must be accepted by the Graduate School no later than April 29 in order to graduate for May 2022 or August 19 to graduate for August 2022. Check Submission of Dissertation and Submission of Thesis for complete information. In December, the date by which the dissertations, doctoral projects, or theses must be accepted generally corresponds with the end of the exam period.
Graduation applications for students who do not meet all requirements by the deadline for the term in which they applied will be inactivated. Students must create a new Application for Graduate Degree for the following academic term in which the student intends to graduate.
Back to Top
How to Apply to Graduate
- Login to MyAccess.
- From the main menu, select the Student tab
- Click on Student Records
- Click Apply to Graduate
- Select the appropriate program or degree
- Dual/joint degree students must create a separate graduation application for each degree. If a dual or joint degree student (i.e. JD/MSFS) is applying for both degrees in the same term, the student must apply for each degree separately. A student may not use one graduation application to apply for both degrees.
- Select the month in which you want to graduate (August, December, May)* The default date will appear as the last day of the month regardless of the date set for graduation in that month.
- Click Continue
- Indicate whether or not you will be attending the commencement ceremony. Your response can be changed later, though not through MyAccess.
- Click Continue
- Select the name you want to appear on your diploma
- It is traditional to show your full name on a diploma, but the name must match the name on your student record.
- The Graduate Bulletin states that the name on diplomas must match the one on a student’s record. If the name that appears differs from the name you want on your diploma, select “new” and enter the name as you want it to appear. Note that if you enter a different name, you must submit a name change form and documentation to the Registrar’s Office. If your name is not changed by the Registrar’s Office within a month of your application to graduate, the name used for the diploma will be the one on your student record.
- Chosen Names entered in MyAccess are NOT acceptable for diplomas. Please submit the name change form along with documentation to the Registrar’s Office.
- If your name has special characters such as accent marks, enter them in MyAccess. Please note that the printer cannot produce all special characters. After you have completed the application to graduate, email email@example.com so that we can track the exception.
- Click Continue
- Select the address to which you want your diploma mailed. If the address you want is not currently listed, select “New” and enter the appropriate information.
- Verify the information you have entered. If everything is correct, click “Submit Request” to complete the process.
- There is no email confirmation. Instructions on viewing an existing graduation application in MyAccess are below.
- The graduation application will remain active through the clearance process until the degree is awarded by the Registrar’s Office.
*When applying to graduate in May, select the May 31, 2022 option. Your graduation date will be May 19, 20 or 21, 2022, based on your school.Back to Top
Deadlines for Applying to Graduate
Students must apply to graduate no later than the first business day of the month in which they intend to graduate. These deadlines also apply for students seeking a master’s in passing. Students should keep the deadline in mind when submitting a Student Petition for Change to Graduate Program to their DGS. Students petitioning for a master’s in passing should NOT apply to graduate in MyAccess.
|Intended Graduation Month: Degree Date||Application Due Date|
|August: August 23, 2022||Monday, August 1, 2022|
|December: December 31, 2022||Thursday, December 1, 2022|
|May: May 19, 20, and 21, 2022 ‡
(date based on your school)
|Monday, May 2, 2022*|
- *Special application deadlines for May graduates apply. Be sure to read the “Spring Graduation Deadlines” note below.
- ‡Commencement weekend is the only graduation date available for the month of May. Graduating on May 31 is not an option.
Spring Graduate Application Deadlines
Special deadlines apply for Spring semester graduation:
You MUST apply to graduate NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 1, 2022 if you wish to: (a) have your diploma available at the May graduation ceremony and (b) have your name and graduation information printed in the Commencement Book. This early deadline is required by the production schedules of both the diplomas and Commencement Book.
Students requesting Master’s in passing degrees should also apply for the degree using the relevant Student Petition for Change to Graduate Program as early as possible. Be sure to get the DGS signature on the form before sending in the form. If you want the degree to appear in the Commencement book, you should submit the form by the February 1 deadline.
After February 1, you may apply to graduate up until May 2. Dissertations, doctoral projects, and theses must be accepted by the Graduate School on May 6. If you apply after February 2 for May graduation, you will be able to participate in the Commencement ceremony, but your diploma MAY NOT be available at the ceremony and your graduation information WILL NOT be printed in the 2022 Commencement Book.Back to Top
How to Check your Graduation Application (prior to graduation)
- Follow the instructions above to use MyAccess to go to Student Records.
- Click on the View Application to Graduate link.
- On the next screen headed Graduation Application
- Under that heading, you will see the Request Date and confirmation that you have an “Active Application” that will be processed for the month noted in the Graduation Date in the next section.
- Under Diploma Name, you will see the name as it will appear on your diploma
- The heading Diploma Mailing Address, shows the address where the diploma will be sent if you are unable to come pick it up
- If you need to change any of this information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contacting the Graduate School
All questions about graduation and other academic topics may be directed to the Dean’s Office’s Graduate Student Services email account at: email@example.comBack to Top