Q: Where do I go to find out more information about a specific program?

Begin with the department's listing under Graduate Programs. This will provide you with the best initial overview of the program, as well as information on program requirements and deadlines. From there, you can link directly to the department's own website for more comprehensive information.

Q: If I have other questions, whom do I need to contact?

For program-specific questions, please contact your department or program of interest directly.

For questions concerning the application process, contact the Office of Graduate Admissions by phone at (202) 687.5568 or by email at

Q: Where do I go for information about law, medicine or business programs? 

The law center, medical school and business school all have separate admissions processes. Their respective offices can be contacted at:

Georgetown Univ Law Center +1  202-662-9010
Georgetown Univ School of Medicine +1  202-687-1154
Georgetown Univ McDonough School of Business +1  202-687-4200

Q: Can I take graduate classes as a non-degree student? I just want to take a class or two.

All non-degree classes are administered by the School of Continuing Studies. You can learn more about non-degree status here.

Q: Where can I find out about the minimum GRE scores for my prospective department? What was the average GRE score from last year?

Many departments do not have a set minimum score. They are interested in the "whole student" and will compare a student’s other strengths against any testing weakness, and vice versa. However, some departments might give an average score or preferred range on their website. Consider contacting the department directly to inquire about GRE policies.

Q: How many people were accepted to my department last year? How many from my country?

Admissions statistics for the various departments within the Graduate School vary from year to year. Please visit the specific program website or contact the appropriate program representative.

Q: Do you offer pre-screening of candidates' resumes, achievements and transcripts by email?

No, the admissions office does not offer any type of pre-screening. Check with the admissions officer in the department of interest or the departmental website to find out information on statistics such as average GRE scores, GPA, years of work experience, etc. Many departments offer information sessions for prospective students where you can also find out this information.

Q: Does the Graduate School offer tours or information sessions?

The Graduate School typically offers information sessions that end with a campus tour every other Friday from April through November. To reserve a spot in an information session, click here.

If prospective students are not available to attend a scheduled information session, the Office of Graduate Admissions additionally holds online webinars and chat sessions.

Q: What is graduate student life like at Georgetown?

Graduate life differs greatly from undergraduate life.  First, the student population is far more diverse, including married individuals, people pursuing a second career, older students returning for a degree, full-time professionals, etc, alongside full-time students who have recently received an undergraduate degree.  Students coming directly from undergraduate studies may be surprised by this shift from a structured social/work community to an environment of autonomy.  Department and program offices often have specialized academic and social events for graduate students, and the Graduate Student Government (GradGov) plays a role in bringing together students from different programs to meet socially or participate in campus issues.  Many campus-wide lectures provide opportunities for stimulating thought beyond specific disciplines.

Additionally, most undergraduate students live on campus, while graduate students live in surrounding areas.  The many offerings of life in and around Washington provide graduate students with the freedom to construct their own lifestyles in the diverse culture of Metro DC.  Many campus activities, buildings, and events are open to all students; however, graduate students are not confined to life within the campus walls.  Most welcome the independence that comes with life as a graduate student.

Please visit the Campus Life section of the website for more information.


Q: Do all the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences departments use the same application form?

Yes, all of the Graduate School departments use the same application form. Some departments require additional information, a writing sample, etc. Check your program of interest for additional requirements.

Note that not all graduate programs are in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.  Law, Medical, Business, and Continuing Studies schools all offer graduate degrees but have separate application processes.

Q: Can I apply to more than one program? How do I apply to a joint program?

You may apply to more than one program, but you must complete a separate application and pay a separate application fee for each program to which you apply. Similarly for dual degree programs, you must submit a separate application and pay a separate application fee for each program. 

A list of dual degree and joint programs is available here

Q: How can I apply to dual or multiple programs?

You may only apply to one program per online application. To apply to a second program or a dual degree program, you must create a separate application for each program.

Please refer to the list of approved dual degree programs for specific dual degree offerings. Applicants who submit materials for dual graduate programs with the Medical School, Law School, or MBA program should complete the application process for both the Graduate School and the corresponding Medical / Law / MBA program.

Q: Can I reapply to the same program? If so, how do I apply?

If you have previously applied to the Georgetown Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, you must submit a new application and all new materials.

Materials from a prior application will not be re-used, except for GRE and TOEFL or IELTS scores that have not expired.  GRE scores are valid for 5 years from the testing date.  TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years from the testing date. Login to the application portal to begin a new application. 

Q: How do I pay my application fee? Are fee waivers offered?

Your application fee can be paid online by credit card.  We accept Visa and MasterCard only.  We do not accept cash, wire transfers, bank transfers, or checks.  The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences does not offer application fee waivers.

Q: Using the online application, what do I do with my supplemental materials?

All supplemental materials must be submitted online, and test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency. 

Q: Do all of my application materials need to be received by the deadline?

Yes. Deadlines vary by department. Please see the Admissions section of the program of interest under the Graduate Programs page. 

Q: How do I know if my application materials have been received?

Once you have applied online, you will have access to an online checklist where you can view the receipt of materials. 

Q: What should I say in my Academic Statement of Purpose?

In general, your statement of purpose should be approximately 500 words and should state your goals and objectives for graduate study overall, and at Georgetown University specifically.  A few programs require more specific personal statements that address questions pertinent to the program.  Review the program admission requirements for more details.

The statement of purpose allows you to highlight areas of your background or interests that may not be clear in other areas of your application.  Therefore, it is very important to write a clear and concise statement that expresses your interest in the program, and what you hope to gain from, or bring to, the program of study.  You may address special features of the program that made it the right fit for you, or you may address specific topics that you are interested in studying.  You may wish to address aspects of your personal, academic, and work-related experiences that would make effective contributions to the program or would showcase your knowledge and interest in your chosen area of study. 

Q: Whom should I ask to write my recommendation letters?

A professor, advisor, supervisor, or someone with authority should write recommendation letters on an applicant’s academic and/or professional experience. Some programs also have specific requirements about recommendation providers.

Q: How do I report my official test scores?

You need to request that ETS (Educational Testing Services) send your GRE or TOEFL scores to Georgetown University.  To request scores, use the code: 5244.  It is not necessary to specify any other departmental code. We are not able to accept copies or unofficial score reports. You may contact ETS at 1-800-473-2255 in regard to GRE scores and at 1-800-468-6335 regarding the TOEFL.  Testing service websites are and respectively. From the time you request for your scores to be sent from ETS, it takes about a month for them to be received and then processed in the admissions office.  Please plan ahead!

The IELTS is administered by Cambridge ESOL, British Council, and IDP:IELTS Australia.  Official score reports should be sent electronically by the testing center to Georgetown University Graduate School of Ars and Sciences. 

Some programs allow students to take the GMAT in lieu of the GRE. Please request that GMAT send your scores and use the following codes:

  • School of Nursing and Health Studies: JT7-VN-43
  • McCourt School of Public Policy: JT7-D8-97
  • All other programs: JT7-GJ-96

LSAT scores taken in lieu of the GRE for relevant programs must be requested to be released from the law school.

MCAT scores can be reported the following ways: PDF AMCAS Report, Score Report w/ verification link, report scores through AMCAS.

Q: What is the process once the application has been sent to the Graduate School?

After initial processing in the Graduate Admissions Office, the application is available for the graduate department to review.

Once the department committee has reviewed the file, they will recommend a decision on the application to the Graduate Admissions Office, which will then conduct a final review of the application and make a final admissions decision.

Once a final decision has been made, applicants will be notified by email to login to their application to view your online decision letter.  Applicants will be able to print their official letter from this site and confirm their enrollment online.

Q: Is an interview part of the admissions process?

The vast majority of applicants will not be interviewed prior to an admissions decision. If the program feels that an interview would be helpful, it will invite the applicant to an interview.

Q: Can I check on the status of my application while I'm waiting for a decision?

Yes. Once you have applied online, you can check the status of your materials by viewing the online status checklist within the online application.

The Admissions Office cannot give you specific information regarding the date of a decision, as the schedule for each departmental committee varies. The Admissions Office also cannot release admissions decisions over the phone.

Q: When will I know the decision on my application?

While application review dates vary greatly by department, the best general indicator is the deadline for applications.  Most decisions are released within 6-10 weeks after the deadline, though some programs may release decisions sooner or later than this range.

The majority of the Graduate School's decisions are sent out from mid-March to late May for applications with early January and February deadlines. For a more exact report time, though, you should contact your program directly.

Q: Can Georgetown return my admissions documents to me or send them to another institution?

All materials (original, photocopied, or electronic documents) submitted in support of an application become property of Georgetown University's application records. Documents cannot be released to the student or a third party except where law requires otherwise.


Q: How do I calculate my GPA for self-reporting in the application?

You will be required to self-report the grade point averages (GPA) for undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) coursework in the Academic History potion of the application. The GPA represents the combined GPA of all credits applied toward the primary undergraduate degree. As such, please review the steps below to understand what needs to be reported and how to calculate your GPA.

  1. Download the GPA Calculation Form.
  2. Confirm your institution(s) grade scale.
    1. GPA must be calculated based upon a 4.0 grade scale
    2. If not, then you must recalculate grades using the calculation form.
  3. Confirm Semester Hours
    1. If you have attended two schools and one school uses 1 unit as a semester hour and the other school uses 3 units as a semester hour, the first school’s values should be multiplied by 3 so that the grades are given equal weight.
  4. Confirm Academic Credit Hour System
    1. If one of the schools is on the quarter system and the other is in the semester system, the credit hours are not equivalent and must be converted. One semester hour is equivalent to .667 quarters hours, and one quarter hour is equivalent to 1.5 semester hours. GPA must be calculated to the hundredth decimal point (i.e. 3.15) rounding up or down as necessary).
    2. Determine which grading scale matches your institutions.
  5. Select the appropriate tab on the GPA Calculation Form and begin entering the credit hours as required.
  6. When completed, save the GPA Calculation Form and upload to the Self-Reported GPA section of the online application.
  7. Additional Notes:
    1. An A+ should not be counted as 4.3 grade points, as Georgetown does not calculate as such.  An A+, should be counted as 4 grade points.
    2. Failures should be calculated in the GPA
    3. Pass/Fail credit hours: Some institutions will include Pass/Fail credit hours in the total hours, even though they are not included in the GPA. As a consequence, you will enter the data in the spreadsheet and the resulting GPA will not match the GPA on the transcript. You should always check to see if this is the case when entering data. You can determine if P/F grade hours are included by checking the individual semester totals. Adjust the total number of credit hours as appropriate, and double-check to make sure the GPA for that school is now calculating correctly.

Q: What do I need to include in my calculation of my GPA?

All undergraduate and graduate coursework completed at the time of the submission of the application should be included in the GPA reporting.

  • If you attended only one school in the U.S. and the GPA is calculated on a 4.0 scale, please report the cumulative GPA provided within your transcript.
  • If you have multiple undergraduate degrees, the most relevant degree GPA should be reported.
    • If you attended more than one school in the U.S., review the following criteria:
    • If you transferred more than 15 credits from one or more U.S. schools, grades from those schools should be combined to calculate the undergraduate GPA.
    • If the primary undergraduate institution accepted only some of the courses taken and specifies which courses were accepted, only the grades for courses transferred should be included in the calculation. 
    • If fewer than 15 credits were completed at one or more U.S. institutions, even if applied to the degree, they should not be calculated towards the GPA.
    • If credits were earned elsewhere but not accepted by the primary degree-granting institution, they should not be calculated towards the GPA.
  • Other Notes:
    • Failed courses that appear on your transcript but are not included in the institution’s calculation of the GPA.
    • If a course was repeated, both grades should be included in the calculation.
    • If you attended a U.S. school that does not calculate GPAs, or if the school does not issue standard letter grades, the GPA should be self-reported as “CBC” or “Cannot be calculated”
  • The following should not be included in the calculation:
    • Study abroad credits
    • Pass/Fail grades
    • Withdraw or dropped coursework/grades
    • Graduate coursework should not be included in undergraduate GPA calculation unless counted towards undergraduate degree requirements.
    • 15 or fewer credits were completed at another institution, even If those credits were applied to the degree

Q: What is a transcript and what should it include?

A transcript is an academic record from an institution that provides a listing of all courses taken by a student along with the grade received for each.

Q: My transcript won't upload. What should I do?

We recommend saving the transcript as another file type (e.g. PDF, JPEG, etc.) and uploading. Attempt to refresh the webpage or logout and access using a different browser.

If you have exhausted all troubleshooting options and still have an issue uploading, please contact our office for additional support:

Office of Graduate Admissions
Phone: 202-687-5568


Q: What is the difference between an unofficial vs. official transcript?

We consider transcripts as unofficial when:

  • Issued directly to the applicant and then submitted to the Graduate School
  • Obtained by the applicant from an institution’s student information system

We consider transcripts official when: 

  • Submitted directly to the Graduate School in an envelope issued by the institution and sealed by the Registrar or an equivalent office
  • Submitted to the Graduate School from the institution via a secure electronic delivery, such as Scrip-Safe

Q: Do you accept electronic transcripts?

We accept transcripts that have been uploaded directly to the application. Applicants must upload transcripts to the online application system. Do not send electronic or paper copies of your transcripts before receiving an offer of admission.

Q: Do I need transcripts from every school I've attended?

Applicants are required to upload to the application system unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Only unofficial transcripts that have been uploaded to the application by the student are required for the application review. Applicants who receive an offer of admission will be required at that time to submit official transcripts for verification prior to enrolling. 

Do not send electronic or paper copies of your transcripts before receiving an offer of admission. 

Q. What exactly needs to be included in the unofficial transcript?

Please ensure that your unofficial transcripts include the following content, format and submission guidelines:


  • The unofficial transcript must include the name of the applicant and the name of the institution.
  • It must include a complete listing of all courses taken and the grade received for each along with related academic comments.
  • A grading scale from the institution should also be included, if available.
  • If documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by an English language version provided by the academic institution. 
  • If your institution does not provide English language copies, applicants are responsible for providing a certified or notarized translation along with a copy of the original transcripts.
  • Applicants may upload an evaluation from a credential evaluation service. This must include course and grade information. If not included in the evaluation, the transcript from the institution must be included as well.
  • Both the evaluation and original transcript should be submitted in the application as one document.


  • PDF or scanned pages (i.e. JPEG or TIFF image files)
  • Must be clear and easy to read
  • Scanned copies of transcripts created by the institution
  • Electronic transcripts created by the institution
  • Ensure that the document can be opened without a password and that all other security restrictions are removed before uploading
  • Not Accepted:
    • Screen shots or photos from a student portal or information system
    • Encrypted or password-protected documents


  • Applicants must upload transcripts to the online application system.
  • Do not send electronic or paper copies of your transcripts before receiving an offer of admission.
  • If after submitting an application an updated unofficial transcript is available, applicants can upload the transcript in the application portal in the material uploads section.

Q: I mailed my transcript to you. Do I need to upload a copy as well?

Yes. All transcripts must be uploaded to the application. Any mailed or e-mailed transcripts sent prior to an offer of admission will be discarded.

Q: The transcript I uploaded to the application indicates completion of my degree. If admitted, do I need to provide another transcript?

If offer of admission is made, we must receive a final official transcript directly from your institution. Transcripts must be sent electronically or by mail. Details for submission can be found on our Admitted Students page.

Q: Can I submit credentials online?

Applicants are required to submit all unofficial transcripts in the online application only. DO NOT send in a hard-copy duplicate set of those credentials. Other credentials such GRE, TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT or LSAT scores should be requested to be submitted directly from the testing organization to Georgetown University. See additional details on our How to Apply page.


Q: Do you accept international funds for the application fee?

No. The Office of Graduate Admissions does not accept international funds for the application fee. When you apply online, you will pay by credit card.

Q: Are international students eligible for financial aid?

International students are eligible for internal institutional funds (such as assistantships, fellowships and scholarships) and for support drawn from federal and other research grants; however international students are generally not eligible for federal loan money from the United States government

Internal Graduate School financial aid is merit-based and all applicants are eligible to compete for available funds. Merit-based scholarships are available to students registered in most doctoral and many master's programs and these funding sources pay part or all of tuition. Assistantships and fellowships normally include a stipend and a full tuition scholarship.  To be considered for merit-based aid, simply answer "yes" to the financial aid question within the application.

For further information and resources on available funding for international students, please visit the Financial Aid for International Students page.

Q: How do I secure a student visa for study in the United States?

The Office of Global Services assists with the student visa process and supports you throughout your time in University-based immigration status. Soon after you confirm your enrollment, you will receive instructions to request a Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 or J-1 status (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019). This process requires you to submit the same proof of funding documentation you will eventually use as part of your student visa application at the U.S. embassy or consulate.

Q: What should I do if I have a visa already?

Students who will transfer their active F-1 or J-1 status to Georgetown from another school must complete this same request process, even if they do not need a new visa.
International students who already hold another status valid for full-time study have no OGS reporting requirements.


Q: If I am admitted conditionally and I am required to submit an official document showing conferral of my undergraduate or graduate degree, should I send the one and only copy of my diploma through the mail to the Graduate Admissions Office?

No. Please hold on to your diploma and bring it to the Graduate Admissions Office once you arrive on the Georgetown campus. We will then make a certified copy for your file.  If you have multiple copies of your official transcript or diploma, then please send one of these copies (via mail) to the Graduate Admissions Office. The transcript must remain in the sealed envelope signed across the seal by the registrar.

Q: How much estimated financial aid will I receive?

If you have been admitted to a program and the department has decided to offer you a fellowship, assistantship, or scholarship, the amount of your award will be included in your admission letter.

Please check with the department for questions regarding the number of awards and amount of funding available. In some cases, information on financial awards may be found on the departmental website.

Need-based aid is administered through the Office of Student Financial Services. The amount of aid awarded is based on the required financial forms and the estimated cost of attendance at Georgetown. The Office of Student Financial Services will notify you of your award shortly after all required forms have been completed.

Q: How do I confirm my intent to enroll?

Please complete the online Enrollment Confirmation Form found in your admission letter.If you are required to submit a non-refundable deposit, you will be able to pay it online by credit card.  This payment is credited to your tuition.

Q: Once I confirm my intended enrollment at Georgetown University, what do I do next?

We strongly suggest that you visit the Eligibility for AdmissionEnrollment Checklist, and Graduate School Orientation pages to learn more about next steps.

Admitted students should focus on completing final administrative and health forms, participating in registration/advising and starting their housing search.

Washington DC can be a challenging place to find suitable housing, so start your search early. Contact the Off-Campus Housing Office in the Office of Neighborhood Living via email at or visit their website. You can also find useful information and resources here. The Office of Neighborhood Living is very available to assist both graduate and undergraduate students.

Also, you may want to schedule a medical check-up with a doctor to ensure all your immunizations are up-to-date. You can access the Immunization form and student health requirements at:

Q: How do I apply for a deferral and when will I be notified of a decision?

You can apply for a deferral using our online deferral request form.  Once we receive it, we will contact your department for a decision on your deferral request.  Please note that not all departments allow deferral requests.  You may wish to talk over your decision to defer admission with the department prior to completing the deferral request form.  If the department approves your deferral, you will receive follow up confirmation from the Graduate Admissions Office.  Deferral processing normally takes 4-6 weeks.


Q: How do I apply to the Graduate School as a transfer student and what percent of my credits will transfer?

Transfer students must follow the same application process as all other applicants. It is possible to transfer up to 25 percent of the credits required for a Georgetown program. However, the department and the Graduate School will make the final determination as to which credits are acceptable for transfer credit, including any Georgetown courses taken prior to admittance to the degree program.


Q: I applied previously and would like to do so again. How do I reapply?

If you have previously applied to the Georgetown Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, you must submit a new application and new application materials. Materials from a prior application such as letters of recommendation, transcripts and statements of purpose will not be re-used.  However, official test scores that were previously sent to the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences and have not expired can be re-used.  (GRE and GMAT scores are valid for 5 years from the date of the test.  TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for 2 years from the date of the test.)  If you have retaken any of these tests, be sure to request the testing agency to send official scores to Georgetown.


Q: How do I take a class at Georgetown without being admitted to, and enrolled in, a degree program?

You can enroll in a credit-earning graduate class as a non-degree student through our School of Continuing Studies (SCS). You must fill out their application form and receive permission from the Department in which you are taking the class. To see which classes are available and to print out an application, please visit the SCS Non-Degree Credit Courses website at

To see the schedule of classes, visit the University Registrar website at  Please note that due to United States immigration restrictions, international students are not likely to be granted a student visa as a non-degree student.


Q: Where can I learn more about Georgetown's accreditation?

Georgetown University is fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Information about Georgetown's accreditation can be found on the University's Accreditation page, located at: