The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences awards master's and doctoral degrees at the end of each month, with the exception of June. The university conducts commencement exercises annually in mid-May.
Read the Apply to Graduate memo sent to all graduate students in January 2018.
Application for Graduate Degree
Students must file an Application to Graduate (instructions below) in order to receive their degree. Applications must be submitted via MyAccess by end of the first business day of the month in which they intend to graduate. Students will then be given until the last day of the month to meet all degree requirements.
Students who do not meet all requirements by the monthly deadline will have their Applications carried over to the following month during the current academic term (Fall, Spring, or Summer). If students do not fulfill the degree requirements by the end of the academic term, however, they MUST submit another Application for Graduate Degree for the following academic term.
Students applying for graduation in May MUST submit their theses or dissertations with faculty and program approval and be accepted by the Graduate School no later than the first business day of May. All other degree requirements must be met by the Monday preceding May Commencement.
How to Apply to Graduate
- Login to MyAccess.
- From the main menu, select the Student tab
- Click on Student Records
- Click Apply to Graduate
- Select the appropriate program or degree
- Dual/joint degree students will have the option of which degree they will be applying for. If a student is applying for two degrees at once (i.e. MPP/MA-ECON) the student will have to apply for each degree separately. A student may not apply for both degrees at one time.
- Select the month in which you want to graduate
- Click Continue
- Identify whether or not you will be attending the commencement ceremony
- Click Continue
- Select the name you want to appear on your diploma
- It is traditional to show your full name on a diploma.
- The Graduate Bulletin states that the name on diplomas must match the one on a student's record. If the name that appears is not the name you want on your diploma, select "new" and enter the name as you want it to appear. Note that if you enter a different name, you must submit a name change form and documentation to the Registrar's Office. If your name is not changed by the Registrar's Office within a month of your application to graduate, the name on your graduation application will be change match the one on your student record.
- Chosen Names entered in MyAccess are not acceptable for diplomas. Please submit the name change form along with documentation to the Registrar's Office.
- If your name has special characters (accent marks, etc.), enter them in MyAccess. After you have completed the application to graduate, please e-mail us so that we can track the exception.
- Click Continue
- Select the address to which you want your diploma mailed. If the address you want is not currently listed, select "New" and enter the appropriate information.
- Verify the information you have entered. If everything is correct, click "Submit Request" to complete the process.
- There is no email confirmation. Look further down the page for instructions on viewing an existing graduation application.
* If you are planning to graduate in May, you may apply online at the link shown above. Please select the May 31, 2018 option. Your degree will still be conferred on May 17, 18, or 19, 2018, depending on your school.
* If you are planning on applying for a master's in passing this Spring, please a Student Petition for Change to Graduate Program to our office by the February 1, 2018 deadline.
How to Check your Graduation Application (prior to graduation only)
- Follow the instructions above to use MyAccess to go to Student Records.
- Click on the View Application to Graduate link.
- On the next screen headed Graduation Application
- Under that heading, you will see the Request Date and confirmation that you have an "Active Application" that will be processed for the month noted in the Graduation Date in the next section.
- Under Diploma Name, you will see the name as it will appear on your diploma
- The heading Diploma Mailing Address, shows the address where the diploma will be sent if you are unable to come pick it up
- If you need to change any of this information, please email email@example.com
Students must apply to graduate no later than the first business day of the month in which they intend to graduate.
Monthly Graduation Deadlines
|Intended Graduation Month||Application Due Date|
|January 2018||January 2, 2018|
|February 2018||February 1, 2018|
|March 2018||March 1, 2018*|
|April 2018||April 2, 2018*|
|May 2018||May 1, 2018**|
|July 2018||July 2, 2018|
|August 2018||August 1, 2018|
|September 2018||September 4, 2018|
|October 2018||October 1, 2018|
|November 2018||November 1, 2018|
|December 2018||December 3, 2018|
*Special deadlines for spring graduates apply. Be sure to read the "Spring Semester Graduation Deadlines" note below.
**Commencement weekend is the only graduation date available for the month of May. Graduating on May 31 is not an option.
The Graduate School DOES NOT graduate any students in the month of June.
SPRING SEMESTER GRADUATION APPLICATION DEADLINES
Special deadlines apply for Spring semester graduation, as noted below:
You MUST apply to graduate NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 1, 2018 if you wish to: (a) have your diploma available at the May graduation ceremony and (b) have your name and graduation information printed in the Commencement Book. This early deadline is necessitated by the production schedules of both the diplomas and Commencement Book.
After February 1, 2018, you may still apply for monthly graduation by the first day of the respective month. If you do so, you will be able to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony, but your diploma may NOT be available at that time and your graduation information will NOT be printed in the 2018 Commencement Book (it will be listed in the Commencement Book the following year).
CONTACTING THE GRADUATE SCHOOL
All questions about graduation and other academic topics may be directed to the Graduate Student Services email account at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed information about the annual Commencement Ceremony (each May) can be found on the Graduate School Commencement webpages.