Rachel Dennis headshot overlaid on graphic with blue background and Georgetown University seal
Category: News

Title: Rachel Dennis (N’20) Reflects on Black History Month

The Graduate School joins the nation in celebrating and honoring Black history, culture and achievements during Black History Month. We invite you to read the story of Rachel Dennis. She graduated in 2020 with a Master of Science in Nursing. Dennis shares her story as it relates to the themes of legacy and pride, lived experience and allyship.

What brought you to Georgetown?

As an aspiring women’s health nurse practitioner at the time, there were not many programs that had a pass rate of above 90%. Georgetown not only had faculty that were a part of the black birth alliance in the DMV, but these women also had the credentials I aspired to maintain and were Georgetown University graduates as well.

What makes you most proud to be a member of the Black community?

Being African American makes me unique in the community I serve. Being that unique voice, being someone’s comfort, and providing care to women who look like me makes me the most proud. I am serving my purpose when I can be a voice for someone who looks like me. 

How can people show solidarity during this month and beyond?

Coming together in spite of trials and tribulations that we are promised as humans.

What is something you wish more people knew or understood about the Black experience?

I wish people would understand that we thrive no matter where we are and what we do. While we do not apologize for it, we would appreciate the respect that is given to other races.

When do you feel closest to your community?

At a music festival or family reunion where we are singing/rapping the songs word for word and doing the same dances in harmony.

What’s your favorite novel that celebrates Black history and culture?

My favorite novel is The BAP Handbook: The Official Guide to the Black American Princess by Kalyn Johnson, Tracey Lewis, Karla Lightfoot and Ginger Wilson.