The U.S. Capitol Building
Category: Graduate Fellowships and Awards, News

Title: Victoria Mangio (G’23) Selected for Prestigious Presidential Management Fellows Program

Headshot of Victoria Mangio (G'23); Communication, Culture and Technology program student
Photo Credit: Victoria Mangio

Victoria Mangio (G’23), a second-year M.A. student in the Communication, Culture & Technology (CCT) Program is among the 54 Georgetown students selected for the prestigious U.S. Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) program. 

The PMF program is particularly competitive, drawing 10,000 applications this cycle, from which only 850 finalists were selected for 2023–24. Finalists will be appointed to Federal Government agencies to jumpstart their careers and receive training as future leaders.

A Decade of Public Service

Mangio’s interest in applying stemmed from a decade in public service, including eight years in the Coast Guard. “PMF felt like a continuation of that service,” she explained. After a stint in the private sector and furthering her education at Georgetown, Mangio felt prepared to return to federal service, eager to tackle government challenges with a new set of insights and an innovative perspective.

“The structure of CCT allowed me to build the skills I felt I needed to be successful in my application because it allowed me to take classes within any school that I felt could help develop my professional career, as well as having a wide range of classes within the program itself,” Mangio said.

In addition to taking technology and policy-centered classes, she has also explored courses in law and business, which helped her to acquire two federal internships during her graduate studies: one with the Department of the Interior and another with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Leveraging an Interdisciplinary Curriculum

Mangio articulated that her passion for bringing technology into federal service both inspired her application and served to set her apart from other candidates; she attributes her success to a background informed by traditional government culture as well as adaptive technological thinking. 

I think this is a great reflection on the diversity of the CCT curriculum and demonstrates an intersection of technology and public service.”

– Victoria Mangio

“As an intern at the Department of the Interior, I had the opportunity to build their mobile app,” she explained. “I think this is a great reflection on the diversity of the CCT curriculum and demonstrates an intersection of technology and public service. Mapping out the structure of the mobile application, developing the copy, building the graphics and drafting privacy statements are great examples of interdisciplinary skills used within the project.”

Leveraging the skillsets honed in the CCT program and her continued commitment to public service, Mangio looks forward to participating in the Presidential Management Fellows program this coming fall 2023.

Students interested in pursuing this program should reach out to the Office of Graduate Fellowships & Awards at elizabeth.george@georgetown.edu.