The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences awards master's and doctoral degrees at the end of each month, with the exception of June. The university conducts commencement exercises annually in mid-May.
Read the 2016 Apply to Graduate memo sent to all graduate students.
Application for Graduate Degree
Students must file an Application to Graduate (instructions below) in order to receive their degree. Applications must be submitted via MyAccess by end of the first business day of the month in which they intend to graduate. Students will then be given until the last day of the month to meet all degree requirements.
Students who do not meet all requirements by the monthly deadline will have their Applications carried over to the following month during the current academic term (Fall, Spring, or Summer). If students do not fulfill the degree requirements by the end of the academic term, however, they MUST submit another Application for Graduate Degree for the following academic term.
Students applying for graduation in May MUST submit their theses or dissertations with faculty and program approval and be accepted by the Graduate School no later than the first business day of May. All other degree requirements must be met by the Monday preceding May Commencement.
How to Apply to Graduate
- Login to MyAccess.
- From the main menu, select the Student tab
- Click on Student Records
- Click Apply to Graduate
- Select the appropriate program or degree
- Dual/joint degree students will have the option of which degree they will be applying for. If a student is applying for two degrees at once (i.e. MPP/MA-ECON) the student will have to apply for each degree separately. A student may not apply for both degrees at one time.
- Select the month in which you want to graduate
- Click Continue
- Identify whether or not you will be attending the commencement ceremony
- Click Continue
- Select the name you want to appear on your diploma
- If the name already listed is NOT the name you want to appear on your diploma, select "new" and enter your name as you want it to appear on your diploma. Note that some divergences from the system name will require a name change with the Registrar's Office.
- It is traditional to show the full name on a diploma.
- If your name has special characters (accent marks, etc.), enter them in MyAccess. After you have completed the application to graduate, please e-mail us so that we can track the exception.
- Click Continue
- Select the address to which you want your diploma mailed. If the address you want is not currently listed, select "New" and enter the appropriate information.
- Verify the information you have entered. If everything is correct, click "Submit Request" to complete the process.
* If you are planning to graduate in May, you may apply online at the link shown above. Please select the May 31, 2017 option. Your degree will still be conferred on May 19, 2017.
* If you are planning on applying for a master's in passing this Spring, please ensure your Student Petition for Change to Graduate Program is submitted to our office by the February 1, 2017 deadline.
How to Check your Graduation Application (prior to graduation only)
- Follow the instructions above to use MyAccess to go to Student Records.
- Click on the View Application to Graduate link.
- On the next screen headed Graduation Application
- Under that heading, you will see the Request Date and confirmation that you have an "Active Application" that will be processed for the month noted in the Graduation Date in the next section.
- Under Diploma Name, you will see the name as it will appear on your diploma
- The heading Diploma Mailing Address, shows the address where the diploma will be sent if you are unable to come pick it up
- If you need to change any of this information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Students must apply to graduate no later than the first business day of the month in which they intend to graduate.
Monthly Graduation Deadlines
|Intended Graduation Month||Application Due Date|
|July 2016||July 1, 2016|
|August 2016||August 1, 2016|
|September 2016||September 1, 2016|
|October 2016||October 3, 2016|
|November 2016||November 1, 2016|
|December 2016||December 1, 2016|
|January 2017||January 3, 2017|
|February 2017||February 1, 2017|
|March 2017||March 1, 2017*|
|April 2017||April 3, 2017*|
|May 2017||May 1, 2017*|
|June 2017 *||(none)*|
|July 2017||July 3, 2017|
|August 2017||August 1, 2017|
*Special deadlines for spring graduates apply. Be sure to read the "Spring Semester Graduation Deadlines" note below. The Graduate School DOES NOT graduate any students in the month of June.
SPRING SEMESTER GRADUATION APPLICATION DEADLINES
Special deadlines apply for Spring semester graduation, as noted below:
You MUST apply to graduate NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 1, 2017 if you wish to: (a) have your diploma available at the May graduation ceremony and (b) have your name and graduation information printed in the Commencement Book. This early deadline is necessitated by the production schedules of both the diplomas and Commencement Book.
After February 1, 2017, you may still apply for monthly graduation by the first day of the respective month. If you do so, you will still be able to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony, but your diploma will NOT be available at that time and your graduation information will NOT be printed in the 2017 Commencement Book (it will be listed in the Commencement Book the following year).
CONTACTING THE GRADUATE SCHOOL
As always, all questions about graduation and other academic topics may be directed to the general Graduate Student Services email account at: email@example.com
Detailed information about the annual Commencement Ceremony (each May) can be found on the Graduate School Commencement webpages.