Conference Travel Grants
The Graduate School is pleased to support the professional development of graduate students by providing Conference Travel Grants to both master’s and doctoral students on the Main Campus and at the Medical Center.
These grants may be used toward travel and other expenses associated with participation in a professional meeting, and may be requested in advance or retroactive one semester.
FOR 2021-2022: We will hold the competition for the Conference Travel Grants, but the actual disbursement of funds for awards involving travel will be contingent on student compliance with the university’s travel guidance. In 2021-2022, students are also allowed to use Conference Travel Grants for virtual conference registration fees.
Number of awards available: approximately 70, depending on individual award amounts
Maximum award: $500
- Doctoral and master’s students only
- Student must have received an official invitation to present a paper or poster, or to participate in a panel discussion at the conference indicated
- Support is only for travel to academic conferences
- One conference travel award per student per academic year
Required Application Materials:
- Online Application
- Official invitation to participate in the conference (e.g., letter of invitation, web page with student’s name as a participant).
- One-page statement of travel plans and relevance to thesis or dissertation completion.
- Travel budget of projected costs or incurred costs if retroactive.
- Department funding statement on travel support, if any, that will be provided to help defray the cost of attendance.
- (1) letter of recommendation from a faculty member (e.g., thesis advisor, director of graduate studies) no more than one-page in length submitted separately by the faculty member. **It is the student-applicant’s responsibility to ensure timely submission of the letter of support.
The completed application must be submitted electronically by the relevant competition deadline indicated below. Letters of support should be submitted separately to GSASGradResearch@georgetown.edu.
Review and Award:
Completed applications received by each deadline will be reviewed by a committee consisting of two to three members of the Graduate Research Steering Committee and the Associate Director of External Fellowships.
Decisions will be e-mailed to each applicant’s Georgetown e-mail address. Awards will be processed through Accounts Payable and paid directly to recipients in accordance with University policies.
Fall 2021: September 20, 2021
Spring 2022: January 18, 2022
For more information, please email GSASGradResearch@georgetown.edu.