GradGov Research Project Awards
GradGov and the Graduate School are pleased to support the research and professional development of graduate students through the GradGov Research Project Award (GRPA) program. Both master’s and doctoral students are eligible to apply. These grants may be used toward supplies, travel, and other research expenses such as training, archival research or data collection, or travel to a laboratory, associated with furthering or completing a dissertation, thesis, or other research project. Students are allowed only one GRPA per academic year.
Number of awards available per competition: 10
Maximum award: $500
- Enrolled in a doctoral or master’s program on the Main Campus or Medical Campus
- Good academic standing
- Working on a thesis, dissertation, or research project under the mentorship of a Georgetown faculty member
Students are required to submit a one-page summary of their research experience, including details on how the funds were used in support of the stated research endeavors, within four months of the date of award.
Required Application Materials:
- a completed coversheet;
- a statement of no more than one page outlining the student’s funding needs and its relevance to thesis, dissertation, or other research project;
- a travel budget of anticipated costs or incurred costs, if requesting retroactive reimbursement; and
- one (1) letter of recommendation from a faculty member, preferably the thesis advisor or director of graduate studies, endorsing the request. This letter should be no longer than one page in length and note the relevance of the support to the student’s degree objectives.**It is the student-applicant’s responsibility to ensure timely submission of the letter of support.
The completed application must be submitted electronically via email to GSASGradResearch@georgetown.edu as a single, collated PDF document by deadline stated below. The letter of recommendation should likewise be submitted to GSASGradResearch@georgetown.edu by the faculty member.
Review and Award Process:
Completed applications received by the deadline will be reviewed by a committee comprised of the Director of External Fellowships, a GradGov representative, and two members of the Graduate Research Steering Committee. Applications will be ranked on the basis of perceived academic merit, relevance to thesis, dissertation, or project completion, and the strength of the faculty letter of recommendation.
All applicants will be notified via their Georgetown email address. Awards will be processed through Accounts Payable and paid directly to recipients in accordance with University policies.
Deadlines: Friday, November 8 for Fall 2019; Friday, March 6 for Spring 2020
For further information or questions, please email GSASGradResearch@georgetown.edu.