Dissertation, Doctoral Project, and Thesis Information & Templates
Note: Forms required for the submission of theses and dissertations are available on the Academic Forms page.
Important Notes for Dissertation, Doctoral Project & Thesis Writers
- Read over the steps for submitting a Master’s Thesis or a Dissertation or Doctoral Project.
- If your research involves human subjects, obtain approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) before beginning the process outlined below. Information is available in Section IV.B.2 Research on Human Subjects of the Graduate Bulletin (from the Policies page). Additional information and forms are available on the IRB website. Your IRB approval number must be included on the Thesis or Dissertation Proposal Form.
- Consult the Guidelines for Dissertation, Doctoral Project and Thesis Writers before beginning your thesis or dissertation.
- Download a template to assist with formatting your work. The templates are unlocked and can be edited (links to the template can be found in the “Submission Procedures” sections below).
- Submit your work electronically via the ETD ProQuest website. Check the Resources & Guidelines section of the ProQuest website for instructions on using the site. The Library has created a very informative series of short videos about the choices you must make on the ProQuest site. Additional information on copyright, publishing options and other topics is available on Lauinger’s Scholarly Communication website.
- More information about the requirements for dissertations, doctoral projects and theses can be found in the Graduate Bulletin.
Submission of the Thesis, Doctoral Project or Dissertation
Information on the forms required leading up to a defense and also afterward appear on Submission of Thesis and Submission of Dissertation or Doctoral Project.
Download a Thesis / Doctoral Project / Dissertation Template
(for Master’s and Doctoral candidates)
We recommend that you download a Thesis / Doctoral Project / Dissertation Template using Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Google Chrome browsers. There are some reported issues for students trying to download using Internet Explorer. The download links are shown below:
- The combined Master’s Thesis / Doctoral Project / Doctoral Dissertation Template for MS-Word for Windows is available at: Thesis/Project/Dissertation Template-PC
- The Master’s Thesis Template for Word for Mac is available at: Thesis Template-MAC
- The Doctoral Template for Word for Mac is available at Dissertation Template-MAC
- If you use the LaTeX markup language, you can download a ZIP file folder containing several template and style documents, as well as an extensive tutorial manual, at this link: Thesis/Dissertation Template-LaTeX. An updated .sty file was uploaded in June 2020.
LaTeX users please note: These LaTeX template materials are provided for the use of those who are already proficient in the use of LaTeX. Neither the Graduate School nor the faculty who helped develop this template are able to provide support or training in the use of this specialty software.
Dissertation Defense Calendar