The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) has funding available for long-term research or study abroad in Germany.
Under an arrangement with the DAAD, Georgetown University is able to designate two candidates who will be considered within a prioritized pool; other submissions will be evaluated within an at-large competition. Decisions about priority nomination will be made by an internal faculty committee comprised of members of the Graduate Research Steering Committee.
The DAAD Application Cycle is now closed. Please stay updated by visiting this webpage.
The following two programs are eligible for priority nomination in all academic fields except the visual/performing arts:
Study Scholarship: available to highly qualified undergraduate students in their final year of study, or those who have received an undergraduate degree in all disciplines, either to pursue a full master’s degree program at a German university, or study at a German university as part of a postgraduate or Master’s degree program completed in their home country. (Application Checklist)
Long-term Research Grant: available to highly qualified candidates who have completed a Master’s degree — or in exceptional cases a Bachelor’s degree — by the time they begin their grant-supported research in Germany. Grants must be for a minimum of seven months and no more than twelve months in duration. (Application Checklist)Back to Top
Internal Selection Process for Priority Nomination
Students wishing to be considered for priority nomination for either a Study Scholarship or a Long-term Research Grant should complete the following by the internal campus deadline.
- Submit all requested documents via the DAAD Online Portal.
- Download the PDF version of the complete application and email it to email@example.com by October 12.
- Send the reference form (available on the DAAD portal) to your references. A copy of the reference form/letter should also be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the faculty member the deadline.
Back to Top
Other DAAD Programs & Deadlines
Other DAAD Programs & Deadlines: The DAAD offers numerous other programs for students in different disciplinary areas, including biomedical sciences and STEM, including study scholarships or long-term research grants. Further information can be found at the following on their website.
Students in artistic fields or those applying to all other DAAD programs, including short-term research grants, are ineligible for priority consideration and should adhere to the following deadlines and application submission requirements:
SAMPLE DEADLINES FROM THE 2021 APPLICATION CYCLE:
- Music: September 27, 2021/ Application submitted to DAAD Bonn, Germany
- Architecture: September 30, 2021 / Application submitted to DAAD Bonn, Germany
- Performing Arts: November 2, 2021 / Application submitted to DAAD Bonn, Germany
- Fine Art, Design/Visual Communication & Film: November 30, 2021 / Application submitted to DAAD Bonn, Germany
- All Other Fields: November 4, 2021; application submitted to DAAD New York.