About the Program
The M.A in Italian Studies offers:
- A broad in-depth knowledge of Italian culture
- High proficiency in Italian language
- Opportunities for interdisciplinary study
- Overseas study and cultural immersion
- Career options in the academic or professional fields
The program intends to provide students with a broad knowledge of Italian culture from a literary, linguistic, and historical perspective; to offer them a solid grasp of major trends in critical and cultural theories and train them to apply these approaches to specific expressions of Italian culture; to provide students with the methodology and research skills to develop interdisciplinary projects in their courses and in their Master’s theses; to help students obtain high proficiency in oral and written Italian language, both through core and elective courses on campus and through one semester’s matriculation at an Italian university; to help each student acquire or enhance expressive competencies in the domain of Italian culture that he/she intends to select for his/her M.A. specialization.
The program aims to achieve those goals by offering two different specialization tracks, focusing respectively on Italian literature and culture, language pedagogy /second-language acquisition. For each of these two curricular options, study in Italy takes place at specific universities able to offer the best preparation in the field.Back to Top
Application Materials required:
- Application Form
- Non-refundable Application Fee
- Academic Statement of Purpose
- Optional: Statement on Diversity, Personal Background & Contributions
- Writing Sample (in Italian)
- Interview (in Italian)
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Transcripts – Applicants are required to upload to the application system copies of official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Visit the Office of Graduate Admission’s How to Apply page for additional details and FAQs.
- TOEFL/IELTS (if applicable)
- TOEFL = 80 minimum
- IELTS = 7.0 minimum
- January 15 (priority)
- April 1 (final)
The M.A. degree program includes a semester abroad at an Italian university, an optional summer not-for-credit internship in Italy, a required thesis-writing seminar, (considered part of the core curriculum) and a Master’s thesis.
Students are required to spend a semester abroad at one of our partner universities in Italy such as Università per Stranieri di Siena.
An optional internship during the summer is also a component of the M.A. program. The Italian Department has already secured internship commitments from leading cultural organizations and financial and commercial firms.
Please see the Italian Studies website for more degree requirements.Back to Top
Connect with Us
Program Contact: Laura Benedetti: email@example.comBack to Top