Dissertation Research Travel Grants
The Graduate School is pleased to invite nominations for Dissertation Research Travel awards for up to $5,000 each. These competitive awards will support the travel costs of enrolled doctoral students engaged in archival or field research outside the U.S. The actual amount awarded will depend on budgets submitted by nominees with the actual number of awards contingent on available funds.
Please note that this opportunity is available to students enrolled in doctoral programs on the Main Campus and at the Medical Center. Students are allowed only one DRTG over the course of their doctoral studies.
Number of awards available: 8-12 for the academic year, depending on individual award amounts
Maximum amount per award: $5,000
Fall 2022: October 21, 2022
Spring 2023: February 24, 2023
Requirements for Nominees
- DRTG Application Cover Sheet (download for fillable PDF)
- Current CV (no more than two pages in length) and with most recent GPA noted
- Description of the dissertation*
- Statement explaining the importance of the proposal travel to the dissertation research*
- Description of travel plans*
- Travel budget*
*These items should be single-spaced and, in aggregate, not exceed three pages in length. Students should submit the full document as one PDF to their academic programs.
Students will be expected to submit a short written report of their research travel activities and overall progress the semester immediately following completion of the grant period.
Requirements for Faculty
- One letter of recommendation, of no more than two pages in length, from student’s thesis adviser
- Second letter of recommendation, of no more than one page in length, from another faculty member familiar with the student’s work
- Nominee must be enrolled in a doctoral degree program on the Main Campus or Medical Center
- Each doctoral program may nominate up to three doctoral candidates per semester for these awards
- Nominee must have an approved dissertation proposal on file with the Graduate School by nomination deadline
- Nominee must have completed pre-dissertation requirements for the doctoral degree (i.e. coursework, language requirements, comprehensive examinations, etc.)
- Applications will be judged solely on merit
- Actual amount awarded will depend on nominee’s budget and the availability of funds
Doctoral programs should submit the PDF applications for their nominee(s) via Google Form by the deadlines indicated above.
Nominations will be reviewed by a committee comprised of the Associate Director of External Fellowships and a standing committee of faculty. The Graduate School will issue payment directly to the awardees.
For further information or questions, please e-mail GSASGradResearch@georgetown.edu.