Biomedical professions are some of the fastest growing careers of today. For those students interested in the biomedical sciences or health professions, a MS in Physiology can be essential to achieving your career goals. Georgetown University offers three graduate programs that terminate in a MS in Physiology.
The Special Master’s program (new window) (The SMP) is a 10-month MS program exclusively designed for students who wish to strengthen their academic credentials for application to medical school. The SMP is the first program of its kind (started in 1975) and has helped thousands of students gain entry to medical schools across the country, and become outstanding physicians. The students in the SMP take 6 first year medical courses alongside the GUSOM medical students, in addition to rigorous medically-related graduate courses. In addition, the SMP provides excellent student support.
The M.S. in Physiology (new window) is a 10-month M.S. program designed for strong science students who are interested in a variety of biomedical careers (i.e., the program is not exclusive to those interested in medicine). The flexible curriculum is focused on medically-related graduate courses. Required courses provide an advance science framework and elective courses allow students to tailor the program to their specific interests and career goals. There is no research requirement. This program is available on a full-time and part-time basis and accepts credits earned in the G2 ABS certificate program (new window).
The Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) (new window) program is a 11-18 month program that provides the basic biomedical science framework for CAM professionals. It is the first program of its kind at a U.S. medical center. It addresses the tremendous public interest in complementary and alternative medicine and the growing need for scientists trained to understand the basic principles of both Western biomedicine and CAM modalities.
- M.S. Physiology (CAM)/ M.D.
Special Masters Program (SMP)
May 15, 2020
M.S. in Physiology
November 1, 2019 (open to G2 ABS students only (new window))
May 1, 2020 (open to G2 ABS students only (new window))
May 15, 2020
Complementary & Alternative Medicine (CAM) Program
May 15, 2020
General Application Requirements
Please be sure to review the Graduate School Admissions How to Apply page.
Application materials required
- Application Form
- Non-refundable Application Fee
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume/CV (including publications, if applicable)
- Transcripts – Applicants are required to upload to the application system copies of official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Visit our How to Apply (new window) page for additional details and FAQs. (WES evaluations are required for applicants to the Regular MS program)
- Official Recommendations
- Official Score Report for the GRE or MCAT (if required, please see specific program application requirements)
- Official Score Report for the TOEFL/IELTS (for International Students)
Statement of Purpose
The 500-word academic statement of purpose should describe your academic and professional goals and their fit with the biomedical graduate program.
Specific Application Requirements
- Thirty-three credit hours for the Special Master’s program with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Thirty credit hours for the M.S. in Physiology program with a GPA of 3.0 or better
- Thirty credit hours for the CAM track with a GPA of 3.0 or better