All master’s students who are required or have opted to write a thesis must follow the steps outlined below.
- File a Thesis Proposal. This form should be submitted no later than the first semester of Thesis Research.
- If required, ensure that you have an IRB approval number. Consult the IRB website for additional information and forms.
- This form must be signed and approved by your advisor, committee, and Director of Graduate Studies.
- Once the form is fully completed, submit it to the Office of Graduate Student Services.
- Once your proposal has been approved by your advisor, committee, and Director of Graduate Studies, you may proceed with writing your thesis.
- Before you begin writing, we recommend that you download and use one of the Thesis/Dissertation templates to help align your formatting with the requirements. Please see the download information at the bottom of this page.
- Some programs require master’s students to defend their theses, while others do not. Follow your program’s policies and procedures for defending and/or submitting your thesis.
- One week prior to your defense date, submit your Master's Thesis Reviewers Report signed by your committee and advisor and email your abstract to email@example.com.
- After you have defended and/or submitted your thesis, submit your cover sheet with all the appropriate signatures to Academic Affairs in the Car Barn or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send a completed Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (ETD) Release Form to email@example.com.
- Upload your thesis for formatting review by the Graduate School.
- Complete any edits assigned by the Graduate School.
- These edits MUST be completed and submitted by the last day of the month in which you intend to graduate; otherwise, your thesis will not be approved and you will not be eligible to graduate (see below).
- If you plan to graduate in December 2016, the deadline to submit your dissertation is December 12, 2016. All above steps must be completed and your dissertation approved by the Graduate School by close of business on December 21, 2016.
If you plan to graduate in May 2017, the deadline to submit your thesis is April 24, 2017. All above steps must be completed and your thesis approved by the Graduate School by close of business on May 1, 2017.