Home » Academics » Dissertation, Doctoral Project, and Thesis Information » Submission of Dissertation
All doctoral students must follow the steps outlined below.
- File a Dissertation/Doctoral Project Proposal. This form should be submitted during the first semester of Thesis Research.
- Make sure you have an IRB approval number, if needed. Consult the IRB website for additional information and forms.
- This form must be signed and approved by your advisor, committee, and Director of Graduate Studies. Once the form is fully completed, submit it to the Office of Graduate Student Services.
- Once your proposal has been approved by your advisor, committee, and Director of Graduate Studies, you may proceed with writing your dissertation.
- Before you begin writing, we recommend that you download and use one of the Thesis/Doctoral Project/Dissertation templates to help align your formatting with the requirements. Please see the download information at the bottom of this page.
- One week prior to your defense date, submit your Doctoral Dissertation/Project Reviewers Report, signed by your committee and advisor. At the same time, email your dissertation title and abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow your program’s policies and procedures for defending your dissertation
- AFTER you have defended and completed any other steps required by your program, submit your cover sheet with all the appropriate signatures to the Office of Graduate Student Services.
- Submit an Electronic Thesis, Doctoral Project & Dissertation Release Form to the Office of Graduate Student Services.
- Upload your dissertation for formatting review by the Graduate School.
- Complete any edits assigned by the Graduate School.
- These edits MUST be completed by the last day of the month in which you intend to graduate; otherwise your dissertation will not be accepted and you will not be eligible to graduate (see below).
- If you plan to graduate in December 2016, the deadline to submit your dissertation is December 12, 2016. All above steps must be completed and your dissertation approved by the Graduate School by close of business on December 21, 2016.
- If you plan to graduate in May 2017, the deadline to submit your thesis is April 24, 2017. All above steps must be completed and your thesis approved by the Graduate School by close of business on May 1, 2017.
- Submit your "Survey of Earned Doctorates" form online at: https://sed-ncses.org/GradDateRouter.aspx. Enter your name, graduation date, institution and email address to register for the survey. Clicking on Submit will bring you directly into the survey. A PIN and password will also be emailed to you in case they don’t want to finish the survey in one session.